17 Escapees Caught, Search On For The Remaining 30
KOTA KINABALU, April 12 (Bernama) -- A total of 17 of the 47 illegal immigrants who escaped from the Temporary Detention Centre in Menggatal last Friday were rearrested so far and the search is on for the remaining 30, said Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman.
The government had also ordered the authorities at the centre to beef up security measures to avoid the same problem from happening again, he told reporters after the weekly state cabinet meeting here, today.
The 47 detainees escaped from the centre after they tore down the zinc sheets of the perimeter fence following a disturbance at the centre.
"I also urge the staff at the centre to be more concerned on the problems faced by the inmates like when they are in need of medical attention," he said.
Meanwhile on the proposal to upgrade the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) that involved the relocation of squatters in Sri Tanjung to nearby Kampung Maang, Musa said the cabinet had decided the project would go ahead as planned.
The upgrading works in KKIA is expected to cost more than RM1 billion and half of the 2000 odd squatters will be relocated.